Braised Tofu in Spicy Peanut Sauce
A tasty, substantial dish with many health benefits. Recent studies show that eating tofu lowers the risk of a number of age related diseases. Tofu contains high levels of isoflavones, one is called Genistein, that inhibits the growth of cancer cells because of it’s antioxidant properties. Tofu is versatile as can be bought in different consistencies depending on the recipe, firm for grilling, soft for casseroles and silken for desserts.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends and family now!
DF, GF, VEG, V
600g/21oz tofu cut into 4 steaks
50ml/2fl oz vegetable oil
2 tbsp/30g peanut butter
80ml/2.75fl oz coconut Milk
2 tbsp/30ml soy sauce (gluten free optional)
7g/0.25oz ginger, cut into thin strips
21g/0.75oz lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
21g/0.75oz jalapenos, thinly sliced
1 tbsp/10g chives, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Sear tofu steaks over high heat for about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
3. In the same pan, sauté ginger, lemongrass, jalapenos, and shallots for about 2 minutes.
4. Add water, coconut milk, soy sauce, and peanut butter. Bring to a boil.
5. Add tofu steaks and simmer for 10 minutes, flipping once halfway through the cooking.
6. Serve with the braising sauce and garnish with chives.