Dark Chocolate Waffles with Coconut-Maple Butter
Mother’s day is a time of appreciation and what better way to show her than creating some indulgent and healthy chocolate waffles, amongst all the other loving gestures….In less than half an hour you’ll have made her feel extra special!
A little bit of trivia – Mother’s day was originally celebrated in 1907 by Anna Jarvis as she held a memorial in honour of her mother and thereafter she embarked on a campaign to make “Mother’s Day” a recognised holiday.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends and family now!
For the Coconut Butter
100g/3.5oz desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp/10ml maple syrup
1 tbsp/15ml coconut oil
For the Waffles
190g/6.75oz gluten free flour
25g/1oz unsweetened cocoa powder
15ml/0.5fl oz maple syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
250ml/8.5fl oz milk
60ml/2fl oz olive oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
80g/2.75oz bittersweet chocolate chips
Non-stick cooking spray
- Blend desiccated coconut, coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt in a food processor until smooth. About 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, maple syrup, baking powder and baking soda.
- Make a well in the center and add egg yolk, milk, oil, and vanilla. Blend with a fork then work in the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Beat egg white to soft peaks in a separate bowl.
- Fold in the egg white into the batter.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Coat your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Ladle in 80ml of the batter into each waffle mold. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Serve waffles with coconut butter.