This jackfruit feijoada recipe was specifically made for the Rio Carnival, 294 years after the first recorded celebration, as it is recognised as the Brazilian national dish.
If you struggling to find jackfruit in your local supermarket, it is also readily available online at speciality stores like here http://theasiancookshop.co.uk/green-jackfruit-3527-p.asp or alternatively you could use the more traditional ingredients, beef or pork instead.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends and family now!
1 hr 20 mins
9 hrs 20 mins
DF, GF, VEG, V
- 1kg/2.2lb raw jackfruit, peeled and cut into chunks
- 250g/9oz dried red mung beans
- 100g/3.5oz fermented black beans
- 200g/7oz white onion
- 50g/2oz garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1-1.5 litres/quarts water or vegetable stock
- 30ml/1fl oz liquid smoke (optional)
- Soak red mung beans in cold water overnight to rehydrate.
- Boil rehydrated mung beans, white onion, and garlic in water or vegetable stock for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Add liquid smoke, fermented black beans, and jackfruit. Simmer for 20 minutes or until jackfruit is fork tender.
- Season with salt if needed.