Lentil Sloppy Joes in Plantain Buns
An alternative sandwich that’s full of fibre due to the plantain and lentils. They are both great sources of fibre which, as we know, aids digestion. This sandwich is healthy for everyone, but pregnant women especially will benefit from the iron and high quantity of folate in the lentils, one cup (200g) provides 358 micrograms of folate and considering the daily requirement is 400 micrograms it doesn’t take a mathematician to know this adds up.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends and family now!
DF, GF, VEG, V
- 600g/21oz plantain, peeled
- 300g/10.5oz cooked lentils
- 50g/2oz onion, chopped
- 100g/3.5oz bell pepper, chopped
- 25g/1oz garlic, minced
- 250ml/8.5fl oz tomato sauce
- 15ml/0.5fl oz maple syrup
- 0.5 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 0.25 tsp. black pepper
- 0.5 tsp. salt
- 30ml/1fl oz olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Sautee onions, bell pepper, and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, maple syrup, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, pepper, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut plantain into 6 inch pieces and split in half crosswise. Flatten each half by pressing with the side of a knife.
- Pan-fry for about 2 minutes per side.
- Assemble the sandwiches.