Quinoa Cacao Crispies
These delicious healthy crispy cakes make the perfect afternoon snack – they’re super chocolately, rich and taste divine.
They’re so easy to make, you can’t go wrong and this is a great recipe to make with the kids. They taste just like rice crispy cakes, but are a far more nutritious chocolate crispy treat.
You need popped quinoa to make these, but if you can’t get hold of it, it’s super easy to make yourself. We’ve added the instructions for this into the method.
We’ve only used a really small amount of cacao for this recipe as we find the flavour really strong, but if you prefer a more chocolately flavour feel free to add a bit more.
This recipe was the winner of this week’s NutriPic vote on Facebook. If you’d like to get involved next week and tell us what recipe you’d like to see on the blog, head to our Facebook page and cast your vote.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends and family now!
DF, GF, VEG, V
120g/4oz popped quinoa
5 tbsp. coconut oil
3 tbsp. cacao powder
6 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. cashew butter
- To pop the quinoa, simply add a small layer to the bottom of a dry frying pan and heat on a medium/high heat until it starts to pop and turn golden brown. Once done set aside and pop some more.
- Add the coconut oil, cacao, maple syrup and cashew butter to a pan and melt, stirring occasionally.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the quinoa and mix well.
- Place the mixture in the freezer to set for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and divide into 18 small balls and serve or keep refrigerated to eat later.