Spaghetti Marinara with Chickpea “Meatballs”
Here is a meat-free, gluten-free, nutrition packed recipe, which you can add to your collection in readiness for National Vegetarian Week, which starts on the 15th May. Chickpeas are a high protein alternative to meat, they contain a whole host of other benefits like Selenium (not found in most fruits and vegetables) which helps to detoxify cancer causing compounds and decreases tumour growth rates. The herbs not only provide flavour but each play a part in improving our health from boosting the immune system to lowering blood pressure. Enjoy this healthy, tasty twist on an Italian classic.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends and family now!
Spaghetti for 3 people, 10 “meatballs”
DF, GF, VEG, V
375g/13.25oz cooked gluten-free spaghetti
For the “Meatballs”
1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
2.5 tbsp. water
75g/2.75oz white onion, minced
15g/0.5oz garlic minced
225g/8oz cooked chickpeas
10g/0.35oz parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
44g/1.5oz almond meal
25g/1oz gluten-free flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. olive oil
For the Marinara Sauce
1 tbsp. olive oil
20g/0.75oz garlic, finely chopped
400g/14oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
- Make the marinara sauce. Sautee garlic in olive oil. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine flax seed meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Sautee garlic and onions until translucent. Leave to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Combine chickpeas, sauteed garlic and onions, parsley, basil, oregano, flaxseed mixture, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Mix chickpea puree with almond meal and flour.
- Form “meatballs” approximately 30 grams each.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and brown the “meatballs” over medium heat, turning constantly. About 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve over spaghetti with marinara sauce.