Vegan Mac & “Cheese”
Your family will be none the wiser when you offer up this vegan mac and “cheese”. The pureed squash mimics the creamy texture a traditional cheese sauce would offer, and since it is made using gluten-free macaroni shells, you could confidently serve it to gluten-intolerant folks as well as those on a calorie-restricted diet. With a supper that will mac everyone smile, you are certainly squashing the belief that cheese is necessary at all…
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends and family now!
8 - 10
DF, GF, VEG, V
- 500g/17.5oz squash, cut into 1” chunks
- 250ml/8.5fl oz vegetable stock
- 375ml/12.75fl oz fresh soya milk
- 500g/17.5oz uncooked gluten-free macaroni shells
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Parsley for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Combine the milk, vegetable stock, and squash in a pot. Boil until squash is fork tender. Puree until free from lumps.
- Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg.
- Drain the pasta and stir into the squash puree.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.